How do i protect my rear window...
t***@gmail.com
2006-02-01 22:09:13 UTC
i load it up with atv's alot and its been broken once, and it cost me
almost $500 to get it replaced, and i would like to prevent this to
ever happen again, i now have 6 tow straps insead of 4 but it still
sits a little close to my window, is there any kinda of like grill or
similar for just trucks in general? any one have some sort of idea
they've done? i got a 99 dakota
Spdloader
2006-02-01 22:59:42 UTC
I'm not being ugly here, but get a frickin' trailer!

The bed of your truck is for your dog, beer, hotdogs, old lady when she's
nagging, and more beer!

Disclaimer:
(I am in no way condoning drinking and ATVing, or putting your old lady in
the back with the food or beer.)
( Failure to follow explicit instructions make cause headaches, nausea and
vomiting, and in certain cases, sudden and severe onset of explosive
diarrhea. Your mileage may vary.)

Spdloader
they've done? i got a 99 dakota
unknown
2006-02-01 23:39:11 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
i load it up with atv's alot and its been broken once, and it cost me
almost $500 to get it replaced, and i would like to prevent this to
ever happen again, i now have 6 tow straps insead of 4 but it still
sits a little close to my window, is there any kinda of like grill or
similar for just trucks in general? any one have some sort of idea
they've done? i got a 99 dakota
You need what's called a "headache rack". Some are heavy duty, some
are just for looks.

Here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.ranchhand.com/headacheracks.htm

Don't work for 'em, never done business with 'em, never seen the web
site before, but that's what google netted me when I searched for
"headache rack"
zerowick
2006-02-02 00:07:22 UTC
I find these the most attractive myself: http://backrack.ca/ they blend in
fairly well with the truck. I currently use the redneck version consisting
of a piece of 2x6 cedar and two uprights made from the same material coming
out of the stake holes.. it's only as high as the lumber itself and rests
on the front of bed so it's strong enough to tie stuff to, like my three 70
pound dogs. got three stainless eyebolts and chain just long enough for
them to lay down but not get tangled or jump over side, they can barely get
their noses past the side of cab. I find it silly when I see a dog tied in
a pickup with enough lead to jump over the side and then get dragged, safer
not to tie at all if you are that stupid, the dog has a better chance. here
in MA it is the law that they must be tied.
Pieter Litchfield
h***@gmail.com
How well does this work. i would rather not run my atv through my back window.
Sharky
2006-02-02 01:01:03 UTC
Luckily for me, my 250 Honda is small enough in either my 1/4 ton Ranger or
1/2 ton F-150 that the bumper hits the front of the bedliner below the
window in both trucks. Unfortunately, after watching me back the ATV off
the 1/2 ton, suddenly having one of the ramps slide out on me and ending up
with both me and the ATV facing the sky on the ground, my wife made me buy a
small utility trailer. I was not hurt, fortunately, there was snow on the
ground, and I was still holding on to the handlebars and sitting on the seat
when the ramp slid out (damn rubber straps, I usually use ratchet straps to
hold the ramps in place).

Anyway, it just so happened a good friend of mine sold me his tent trailer
that he converted to a utility trailer. He already had welded a homemade 3'
steel ramp on the back, which made it perfect for unloading and loading
ATV's. Plus, it is large enough for when I upgrade to a larger machine.
Both trucks haul it with ease, and my wife finds it much easier to unload
when she wants to go for a run.

If your machine hits the window before it hits the front of the bed, take a
spare tire and place it between the ATV and bedfront, it will act as a
bumper between the window and ATV. Or, a plastic toolbox would also do the
same thing, plus give you some storage for gear you don't want rolling
around the bed (metal boxes are too expensive and you don't want to dent it
all to hell). This is probably best for a 1/2 ton truck if you have a
larger ATV, or a 1/4 ton with a long box.

Good luck,
Sharky
zerowick
2006-02-02 02:11:23 UTC
glad you're ok Sharky, even though I did chuckle a little at the visual, I'm
a little twisted that way. anybody using ramps off a pickup should pin the
metal ramp itself to the tailgate. the Ramparts I use came with two pins
for each ramp, got the 2x12 set for extra capacity. heavy? uh, yeah! at
37 years of age they are already a pain in the a$$, lucky for me I don't
have to use them unless taking the machine to the shop. tailoring is much
more convenient especially if the ramp/s is/are hinged, and makes for a good
storage spot off the ground if you don't have an alternative.
Sharky
2006-02-02 13:44:57 UTC
Zerowick, I didn't think it was funny at the time, but after I went into my
in-laws house and my mother screamed at me, "You be more careful with that
thing! I thought you were dead!", I really had to laugh. She's the church
goer type who talks too much and loves everybody. When something like that
happens, she has a coniption fit.

I normally strap the ramps with ratchet straps, but the problem with the 1/2
ton is before I inherited it, someone put newer model tailgate cables on it,
which apparently are longer than the older trucks. When you let the
tailgate down, it doesn't hang level, it hangs a bit downward. The
combination of the two didn't help me unload the ATV any.

The trailer works much better anyway, LOL.
Sharky
Dana
2006-02-02 12:34:33 UTC
I use three 2"x8"s, cut long enough to run the width of the truck body
and nailed together on the sides so it becomes a 6"x8" board. Then I
attached a 4th piece under the three to act as a foot to hold the
boards standing up. Place the contraception across the front of the bed
and when the wheeler is loaded, it acts as a stop to keep the wheeler
from coming in contact with the front of the bed. Keeps the machine
away from the window and hopefully distributes any forward pressure
from the wheeler across the front of the bed in case of a sudden
stop.....it's a real homegrown redneck wheeler stopper.... :-)
Spdloader
2006-02-02 13:21:10 UTC
Post by Dana
stop.....it's a real homegrown redneck wheeler stopper.... :-)
...and one hell of a contraceptive, too, apparently!

Spdloader
e***@cypress.com
2006-02-02 20:06:39 UTC
What part of the ATV could possibly hit the window that high up?? Front
Tires or bumper would hit first - well at least on the Shee. Take the
2x4's, beer keg , big screen TV & BBQ off the front utilty rack before